Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My first post!


Why a mudhut? I am a potter, so yes my hut is quite muddy. I don't want to advertise my shop on this badboy, I just want to share what inspires me as an potter/artist. I have noticed that a lot of unrelated things can inspire a person without them even thinking twice about whether or not it is related to their craft or their same wave length. I get inspired often by film and photo much more than nature or other artists. I do have to favorite bloggers at the moment which are Decor8 and Design*Sponge. Homegirls can blog. Design*Sponge in particular is very helpful when it comes to business with her Biz Ladies link. Really I am not just a potter, I am an aspiring business owner. So not only am I going to be filling you in on what inspires me, but how I handle my new business. I am not a professional, I am still constantly learning the tricks of the business as well as pottery.

One of my latest inspirations has been the movie Surviving Picasso (1996) starring Anthony Hopkins (damn he's a great actor) and Natascha McElhone (frickin gorgeous). Of course the art work in this movie is wonderful, but being filmed in France the whole movie is pretty.



Throughout the movie Picasso inquires about Matisse to everyone in the business. He seemed to be weary of the artist and extremely competitive.  Ask any business owner and they will tell you that a little competition is healthy and necessary. When Matisse shows up towards the end of the movie, he is already in his cut out artworks. They also visit his chapel in Vence, France which Picasso loathes.


 One of my favorite parts of the movie is when Picasso starts his ceramics. They show his studio in the country with a wood burning kiln. the last half hour of the movie seems to be littered with Picasso pottery. Here are a






The decor of their houses, their super ample studios, and the nice clothes. The reason I have played this movie out the last few months, is because I love seeing how Picasso handles his business and his artwork.It is a dream for an artist to do whatever the hell they want while the whole world falls in love with it. Everyone loving it, everyone wanting it, and of course everyone paying top dollar for it. He had the whole world in his hand and even continued to grow in popularity during the second World War. Oh yeah and he had a whole lot of lovers. What more can an artist want?

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I feel the same way about Picasso (what you said about him handling his business and all) I admire him so so much for how he molded his life. You said exactly what I feel about his work and life in your last paragraph. :) You made my day thanks!

    ReplyDelete